GK1Jonathan Grier   
 RB2Craig Murray   
 LB3Jeff Fergus   
 CB4Greg Pascazio   
 CB5Arnault Bembo   
 CM6Jordan Pirrie   
Off80RWB7Craig Holmes   
Off56CM8Lewis Warnock   
 CF9Martin WrightScorerYellow Card 
 CF10Stephen O'NeillScorerYellow Card 
 LWB11Fraser Team Yellow Card 
On56 12Lewis BonarScorer  
  13Alexander Gilchrist   
On80 14Trialist   

27/07/2019  |  League

Gala Fairydean Rovers   0  v  3  Cumbernauld Colts

The Colts opened their SLFL season away to Gala, which was a repeat of last season inaugural fixture which the Colts edged 2-1 win. The Cumbernauld side went into the match with a level of apprehension with only two of their recognised back four available for selection with centre half Davidson suspended, with Kirwan and a number of others unavailable the squad was very thin, the two rearguard stalwarts were replaced by the midfield due of Bembo and Murray.

The visitors handed league debuts to new signings Marty Wright, Lewis Warnock and keeper Jonathan Grier with Lewis Bonar starting on the bench. It was a cagy start with both sides finding their way; it was the home side however who created the first real opportunity as the makeshift defence look vulnerable, a ball from the right was flicked on by the Gala center inside the six yard box only to see his effort agonisingly slip past the far post. There was nothing between the teams but midway through the half Gala had the best opportunity to take the lead when they broke down the left, and with the Colts deference stretched had a two on one situation bearing down on goal, unfortunately the advancing player mistimed his run and was ruled off-side when he collected the ball, slotting it past the helpless Grier. This was real let-off for the Colts and the wake-up call they needed and began thereafter to assert themselves. Wright up front was proving a handful for the home side defence with O'Neil, Team and Holmes supporting. The Colts got the all important opening goal on 35 minutes when the home side failed to clear a Colts corner, as the ball was fired back in, Murray knock the ball into the six yard box where Wright was on hand to head home past the keeper from close range. The Colts determined to take their advantage into the break closed the game down to go in on top at half-time - HT 0-1.

The Colts came out in the second half full of confidence and took the game to their opponents from the start applying pressure on the home sides defence as they tried to increase their lead. Wright went close when he rifled a shot form the edge of the box which went inches wide with the keeper rooted to the spot.

The Colts were forced to make a change in 56 minutes when young Warnock who had equipped himself well in the middle of the park with Pirrie left the field to be replaced by another new signing Bonar, and it did not take long for the new recruit to make his mark, a defence splitting pass by O'Neill put the big fellow in on goal, he outpaced the big centre half and calmly slotted the ball past the advancing keeper, 0-2 - 60 minutes. There was only going to be one winner after this as the Colts piled on the pressure, and two minutes later the visitor made it three when in a crowded box Wright found O'Neill who fired home pasted a mass of home players, 0-3. The visitors were now looking comfortable, however to the home side's credit they continued to play their passing game but had no real penetration upfront with Pascazio and teammates standing firm. Out with a couple of dangerous corners that the Colts defended well, Grier was rarely tested.

Both Wright and Team were denied by the keeper with decent efforts and it was the later who could have extended their lead when following a good period of passing play Team was clear in the box only to see his shot rebound off the far post with the keeper beaten.

The Colts made their last substitution of the game in the 80 minute when Holmes who had been carrying a knock was replaced by Fitzpatrick. The Colts saw out the remaining time to record a confidence boosting opening day away win.

Next up for the Colts is BSC Glasgow at home on Friday night KO: 7:45pm. Admission 6 & 3